Climate friendly WCM 2022
Global climate change and biodiversity loss long for local action!
The WCM organizing committee takes responsibility for the environment and strives for sustainability as much as possible. One of our major challenges is to decrease the environmental impact of the WCM 2022 in Munich.
Within the scope of our possibilities, we contribute to the reduction of the congress' carbon footprint by a number of actions and measures, such as:
- We seek for the elimination of plastic bottles and single-use items. They will be reduced to a minimum and replaced by alternative solutions during the congress.
- Snacks and drinks are provided by local companies; there will be a choice of vegetarian/vegan food
- Optional congress bag including a pen/notepad from sustainable production
- We will keep printed articles to a minimum. An overview program will be printed, the abstract book will be available online only.
The congress organizers will offer an environment-friendly mobility to the Conference venue within Munich. Every congress participant will be provided with an optional ticket for public transport (no extra charge) for the stay during the congress.
The advantages of personal meetings and conversations account for a successful congress, but we are also aware of the issues that global traveling entails.
We encourage every participant to consider climate-friendly means of transportation to Munich and calculate and compensate your own unavoidable CO2 footprint (e.g. via https://co2.myclimate.org/en/offset_further_emissions).
NEW: student award “Malacologists for Future” (in total: 1000 Euro) :
Who? All students up to doctorate degree (without permanent position)
1) Calculate your CO2-balance at https://uba.co2-rechner.de/en_GB/
2) Are you surprised about the result? Any idea how to proceed?
3) Write an essay (2 pages) on how malacology and malacologists could contribute to save biodiversity, climate and perhaps civilization.
When? Contributions need to be submitted (email to M. Schrödl: email@example.com) until 1st August 2022.
Selection: Substantial contributions qualify for a final lottery step (we do not wish to decide who did best but give a chance to all original quality submissions whatever the personal background).
The award is funded by M. Schrödl’s non-profit organization for exploring and saving biodiversity “Artenvielfalt erforschen und retten”. The winner will receive the award during the congress dinner and the winning essay will be published on the website.