Field Trip 1: Danube floodplains
Kelheim, danube floodplains
Bus excursion to the area of Kelheim, danube floodplains and the surrounding area.
This field trip will give insights into the local malacofauna and offer the opportunity to collect specimens (in compliance with regional nature conservation laws).
The trip will be organized by the German Malacozoological Society and accompanied by the local experts Gerhard Falkner, Hans-Jürgen Hirschfelder and Andrea Hirschfelder.
Please be aware that this trip entails (light) hiking. You should bring appropriate shoes and weatherproof clothing.
For lunch we will visit a typical Bavarian restaurant (not in the price included).
The full day trip
- starts at 8:30a.m.
- at Munich Underground Station
U6 Klinikum Großhadern
and you will arrive back in Munich in the afternoon.
Price € 35 per person
Including a bus ride and expert guided tour.
Bus trip from Munich to Neustadt an der Donau (ca. 90 minutes)
- Danube floodplains, river bed (focus on wetlands and aquatic molluscs)
- Alternatively: walk along the Danube dam and ponds
Trip continues to Weltenburg Abby (ca. 20 min + short walking distance of 700 m)
- Guided tour through the abby cathedral (“Asamkirche”)
- Alternatively: walk to the Danube Gorge or wooded floodplains
Trip continues to Kelheim (15 minutes busride + short walking distance of 700 m)
If conditions allow: boat ride to the Danbue gorge
- Walk along a forest patch, along the foot of the Michelsmountain
- gorge with forest, rocks
Return to Munich (ca. 90 min bus ride)